When I first joined a sorority, the concept of big/little confused me. Why was getting an older sister as a “big” so hyped up? I felt like the only purpose of getting a big was to have someone to give me crafts and hand-me-down sorority clothing. But then I got my big, and I understood.
So, while I sit here crafting for you, I wanted to write you a letter full of promises.
- I promise to help you adjust to college. Whether it’s sitting together at the library, taking you out for the first time, helping you with laundry, decorating your room, or listening to you cry about being homesick; I promise to be there for you through it all. College is a big transition and it’s reassuring to know that someone is there for you.
- I promise to be your best friend. Just because I’m your big, it doesn’t mean that we can’t be best friends too. We can get lunch together every day and even go on Spring Break together! I’ll be here for you through it all.
- I promise to act like your mom when you need it. Don’t ever hesitate to call me when you’re out and need a ride home because you’re scared of walking back. I’d rather get out of bed and come get you than to have you feel unsafe. If a boy breaks your heart, I’ll show up at your door with ice cream and movies. Everyone needs a mom sometimes and I’ll be that person for you.
- I promise to be your own cheerleader. There are a lot of moments worth celebrating in college. Whether it’s running for a position in our sorority, applying for an internship, or acing a test; I’ll be there to celebrate with you.
- I promise to be your therapist. If you ever need to vent about life, you have my number. I’ll listen to you rant for hours and then I’ll give you whatever advice I can. My big did this for me, and I’ll do the same for you.
- I promise to always be there for you. No matter what happens during your crazy college years, I will help you through it all. Whether it’s a fight with your roommate, a breakup with your high school sweetheart, or a failed exam; I will be here for you. You’ll never be alone.
Your future big